ah gong and ah ma. i love you.
had a random dream of my granddad yesterday. he was making coffee for me or something.
i dont really have a fantastic childhood to begin with.
but i guess what my grandparents gave me is more than enough. we stayed together for more than a decade. so the bond between us is really strong. being the youngest in the family, they'll usually give in to me and my wants. i'll ask them to bring me to the nearby mama-shop to get sweets or chocolate. though my mum don't allow me to consume them, grandpa and grandma will always get it for me secretly.
grandpa had diabetes, so had to go for regular check up in NUH. everytime i will try to find excuses to tag along because there's a small mama-shop at the corner that sell lots of candy and seaweeds. when it's a school day and i'm unable to tag along, grandpa will walk all the way to the far end to get seaweeds for me though his leg is swollen. in the later part of his life, he cant really walk because of the swell on his leg. even when he's in wheelchair, he'll ask my mum to bring him to the shop to get seaweed for me.
then, in P6, because of some things going on at home, all of us shifted away to my aunt's place in Yishun. but my sch is in bukit panjang still. every now and then, i'll go back to the old house to get things. that's when i see the most heartbreaking scene. my grandpa is alone at home and staring into space. sometimes didnt eat anything since morning. everytime when im back, he will give me this really happy smile. we'll talk for a while and when late afternoon comes, i have to go because my dad will be back anytime. everytime when i tell him im going off, i can tell that he's very sad, but there's nothing i can do.
Grandpa left us on the first day of chinese new year in 1999.
one of my regrets is not being able to see him for the last time in ICU. moments before he went off, he's asking my aunt if i'm around.
though primary school days were horrible, mostly due to family violence, sometimes, i'll still think of going back to that period of time.
i really miss my grandparents.
i can sit there all day long just to listen to their stories.
i love them.
it's qing ming that day.
so i went to pay respect to them.
i saw my grandparents's tablet side by side and near to them, it's my dad's.
overwhelmed by the feelings inside.
radios in heaven by plain white t's.
i tear-ed while listening.
Your time has already come and I don't know why
The last thing that I had heard
you were doin' just fine
It seems like just yesterday
I was laughing with you
Playing games at Grandma's house
well you taught me well, didn't you?
I hope I'm just like you
Do they have radios in heaven?
I hope they do
'Cause they're playing my song on the radio
And I'm singing it to you
And I'm singing it to you,you,you,you
You left before I had a chance to say goodbye
But that's the way life usually is
it just passes you by
But you can't hold on to regrets and you can't look back
So I'll just be thankful for the times that I had with you
I hope I'm just like you
Well, do they have radios in heaven?
I hope they do
'Cause they're playing my song on the radio
And I'm singing it to you, I'm singing it to you
If they don't have radios in heaven
here's what I'll do
I can bring my guitar when my time is up and I'll play it for you
I'll play it for you, you, you
Tell me can you hear me now
if not, then I can try to sing real loud
What's it like up on the other side of the clouds?
I hope I'm just like you
I hope I turn out to be as good as you
And do they have radios in heaven?
I hope they do
'Cause they're playing my song on the radio
And I'm singing it to you, I'm singing it to you
And if they don't have radios in heaven
here's what I'll do
I can bring my guitar when my time is up and I'll play it for you
I'll play it for you, you, you
-
P
